Thursday, February 9, 2012

In Sintra, Portugal now via Lisbon

Hello people, I am in Sintra, Portugal right now, a UNESCO world heritage village having a short relaxing weekend holiday. Away from the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam, and also from Lisbon. Lisbon was nice but for this trip I prefer the village-y feel, the nature and the tranquil surroundings around me.



Lisbon touchdown







Me in Rossio square in Lisbon, Portugal. Not the best foto (looking a bit smug haha) I got but I didn't have many fotos taken with me on it in Lisbon.



The KLM pilot went too fast with the landing and the plane was swaying sideways, we bumped hard on the runway. I managed to take pictures of Lisbon from the plane.







Beautiful Sintra



My hotel in Sintra is really nice. It is facing the valley and the historical center with the old buildings and houses, and the castle ruins on top of the mountain as my view (sometimes I only see a blanket of mist hovering above the tip of the mountain). I think I have chosen a perfect place to unwind. I really need this from time to time.



Here is the picture of the view from my room when I arrived:







Had a quick stroll in the village and a very light dinner as well. I only ordered a tapas starter and some bread, with red wine of course.









I had dinner at a fine dining restaurant (cannot remember the name) right by the Placa da Republica.



So I chatted up the waiter asking for some advice what’s best on the menu, and later on how to get to the palace up in the mountains. As typical as my conversations with waiters end up, he asked me where I am from as he can’t seem to figure out where. When I told him I am from Holland, his reply was a raised eyebrow, lol. I know, I am not blonde, OK!



Anywho, it turns out that one of the cooks is a Filipino, so he excitedly asked the other waiter to go to the kitchen and fetch him for me.







Tomorrow will be a long day... will be visiting the castles, the little historical center of Sintra which is just a stone's throw away from my hotel (actually my view from the balcony is the old center), take a walk in the lush valley, enjoy Portuguese seafood cuisine and many, many more.



I'll have more tales later when I am back in the Netherlands.



Alright, till then!


No comments:

Post a Comment