Saturday, May 22, 2010

Patagonia Micro D 1/4 Zip Synchilla



11K on Denali




When I get really confused as to what is available on the market for clothing today I generally think back to a specific piece of gear I want to duplicate with what is available now.If nothing else I am a creature of habit. Earlier this year went looking for a upper layering shirt/sweater weight upper that I had owned twice in the past. It was a really simple mid weight pile jacket that wasn't very durable but it was very warm and breathed exceptionally well. That one I have yet to replace but I might be close. Likely one or the other is a modern, Patagonia Men's R2® Jacket or the Better Sweater? But I am open to suggestions.






The usual suspects in the same sweater/jacket






But this blog isn't about thatsweater. The sweater and how much I liked and used itgot me thinking about what was under that sweater I used and liked so much. That was an expedition weight 1/4 zip T-neck. That one I also liked a lot and didn't have in my closet any longer. Thankfully because iirc it got pretty rank in the end.



This is actually the first in a serieson current Patagonia Alpine clothing. In thelast few decades I have not been a big fan of Patagonia. But as you can see I have been in the distant past. I don't generally write about gear I don't use and like. A series on Patagonia surprises me....but my experience this winter showed me it waswell deserved.



When I finally started counting, Patagonia clothing made up a shockingly large percentage of the clothing I used in the alpine. Even more so this winter.



So to the topic at hand? That 1/4 zip expedition weight fleece? More than one Patagonia advocate tried to convince me the Capilene 3 and 4 were a good choice. I have several R1 hoodies and pullovers. I didn't want the typical grid patterns in any form. But I wasn't quite sure why. I guess it was because I didn't really like it as insulation or wind protection. R1 and the Caps are good at keeping you dry but not really what I as looking for. I guess what I really wanted was something more old school. Better wind resistance, more creature comfort if you weren't working hard (read soft next to the skin) and more warmth from the garment.



I have to admit...none of this would have ever happened if theCap 4 didn't retail for $99. The Micro D 1/4 zip retails for$59.00









Patagonia sez:



A lightweight, warm, and fast-drying u-zip microfleece that works as either insulation or an outer layer.



Key Features of the Patagonia Micro D 1/4 Zip Fleece:



  • Ultrasoft, quick-dry, microdenier fleece

  • Zip-through stand-up collar; u-front zip

  • Clean-finished hem and cuffs

  • Hip length

  • Regular fit

  • (8.4 oz) 238 g

  • Fabric: 4.7-oz 100% microdenier polyester (85% recycled) fleece





What I say?



I don't own another piece of clothing that is as warm for the weight or as comfortable next to the skin as the Micro D. I generally wear a thin base layer under it for skiing. But nothing warmer in that application that I own. Too warm for back country skiing I think and it doesn't breath well or get rid of the moisture as fast as I would like. No question it is not an R1 layer. But then it is more wind proof and warmer I think as well. It has limitations if you want to move quicklyand know you will be sweating. I haven't bothered yet to see how it does next to the skin. Although I did use something similar in the distant past as a base layer. I might try that again knowing full well the limitations of this pile fabric. Knowing that it dry fast is a big help. The more I think of it the more places I think about using the Micro D in the mountains.



Some times it is just figuring out how to use a fabric to best effect. This is a pile that I really like but it took me most of the winter to find a place in my own "clothing system" for it to be the most effective. Now I have a hard time going skiing, on lift or side country when I don't take the Micro D. I bought the first one on a lark....choking on the Cap 4 price. I figured what the heck. "Patagonia has a stellar return policy..I can't loose here".



The other day all my ski clothes badly needed cleaning. But it was cold in the house andI was tired but needed to be working. I wanted something warm and soft to wear around the office. Jeans, flips and a Micro D made my day! Just as the Mirco D did in the last big storm cycle on the mountain. At that point I knew I'd better buy another. And at$59. it was an easy decision.







    My vote is for the brighter colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment