Wednesday, May 26, 2010

More from Sunday stroll

The two types of native hydrangeas were growing side by side.


Oakleaf hyrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia)


Smooth hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens), with Flower long-horn beetles (Typocerus velutina)

Every Smooth hydrangea I saw a had pair of those doing that.


Black-Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta) are the favorite flower of my sister-in-law, who was kind enough to wait with me while the guys disappeared into the distance up ahead. (As I mentioned yesterday, they don't understand that you can't take pictures while walking.)


My sharp-eyed nephew, on leave from the Army, spotted this damselfly. It looks a bit like a female Powdered Dancer (Argia moesta), but I'm not sure since it's so nondescript. This is the only photo I managed before it scooted away.


While looking up the latin name of Fragrant Sumac (it's Rhus aromatica), I was surprised to find so many references to the stinkiness of the crushed leaves. I find that the young leaves have a very pleasant scent!


Ladies tresses (Spiranthes sp.), a member of the orchid family. Unfortunately these are leaning over after my brother-in-law stepped on them. (I think we need to supervise him more closely on future walks.)


When we got back we spied an Eastern cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus) in the yard.


I wonder if this is the one who ate my lettuce.


I also got a shot of an Indigo bunting (Passerina cyanea), but not very close, hence the blurry quality.

While trying to figure out which bugs were on the hydrangeas, I came across this very helpful page: Insect Visitors of Illinois Wildflowers. A great way to jump-start bug identifications, even if you don't live in Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment