Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Acropolis of Athens

One thing for sure, no one has been to Athens if they have not visited the Acropolis!

This is the entrance to the Propylea (see the unfinished structure that can be seen through the doorway opening), the monumental gateway to the Acropolis and me with the Parthenon as my backdrop.

The Acropolis is a must-see must-visit when in Athens. It is identical in status, symbol and importance to the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Colosseum in Rome. One of the most important piece of archeological antiquity in the world as its buildings go back 2,500 years (5 BC).

...............

This short clip is taken in the Propylea, the entrance to the Acropolis.

The climb up to the Acropolis was quite exhausting because I took a different entrance which was farther. In addition, I was still very tired from my late night arrival and moreover, I was developing a cold. With the heat, it was too much for me to bear but I know I could not forgive myself if I did not visit the Acropolis. So I pressed on.

Close up of the beautiful work of magnificent art detail - frieze on the Parthenon, preserved since the 5th BC.


Obviously the most impressive building in the Acropolis is the Parthenon, the Temple of Athena Pathenos, considered to be the most important surviving structure of Classical Greece. I love the frieze artwork running around the exterior walls of the cella. I wanted to inspect the detail up close but unfortunately I could not get closer as it is off limits to get near the archaic structures.

Another building, the Erectheum, right across the Parthenon was also a favorite. I love the lady pillars, the porch of maidens. They are so pretty and elegant!

This is the foto the old limping woman took of me. She had the right angles.


While I was taking a picture of myself for a souvenir, a limping old lady passing by smiled at me and stopped me on my tracks motioning her husband to wait for her. She right away grabbed my camera, backed away a bit, and knelt down on her knees to take a shoot of me with the Parthenon in my background. Everything went so quick, I could only mutter a hurried thank you when she handed back my camera, waved and left. It’s not everyday you come across with a limping sweet old lady offering to take pictures, and the actual picture coming out beautifully.

More fotos of Acropolis here: Acropolis - Athens, Greece

The elegant porch of maidens of the Erechtheum temple and the restored amphitheater, the Odeon of Herodes Atticus.


It was a very hot day, 35C I reckon, so I took shelter under the shade of a tree at the back part of the Parthenon where the water fountain is located.

There were two American ladies with Californian accent sitting on the bench. One of the girls intrigued me. She was wearing a thin shoulder strapped short dress and it was a sight to behold --- her hairy (inch long hairs!) legs caught my stunned inquiring eyes. Then without hesitation, she swiftly lifted her arms to tie up her hair into a ponytail. Oh my dearest lord. What did I just saw? A nicely tucked thick dark bush under her armpits... I think I just saw the highlight of my Acropolis trip, lol. I can’t help it. Let me guess, they were virgin armpits. Never been shaved or plucked.

Nevertheless, I was in awe (truly) of this woman’s courage and confidence to show off her hairs and not care about what most women fear in this generation --- caught in public with hair on their legs or armpits.

The view from the top of the Acropolis overlooking the packed city of Athens and the Lycabettus mountain that I visited the day after.


Lesson learned: French and German ladies do not have monopoly of the hairy armpits stereotype.

Anywho, I was so tired and sleepy that when the 2 ladies left, I took their bench and lay down on it using my bag as my pillow. Under the bench was this big dog who was earlier chasing away other dogs that came near his territory, also sleeping, soundly. I would not be surprised if people took fotos of me and the dog, ha-ha. The heat took control of me and I just need to take a little nappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment