Friday, October 31, 2008

Palm Friday



A week ago today, this was the view from my window. We were lying in bed watching a World Cup game (atop what we later came to call the bugspread), when we realized that it was an Osprey instead of a gull that kept flying by outside. I never was able to get his portrait. (Serious time lag on the camera - if I manage an action shot you can pretty much be sure it's by mistake.)

I enjoyed this weary-traveller view of Florida anyway. Plus for me, it's got the anticipation of an Osprey written all over it.

After the game, we ventured out. I thought I spied parasitic growths on the palm trees. But no, they were blooming!

Almost all plants bloom in one way or another I suppose, but I tend to think of those with inconspicuous flowers as non-blooming. You never hear anyone rhapsodizing over oak tree blossoms, for example. Before last week I had assumed that palms were the same. Only it turns out that all my previous trips to Florida were just mis-timed to catch them.



They bloom. And this type produced little berries also.



I believe they were Cabbage palms (Sabal palmetto).

-----
* Bugspread = bedspread, with bugs! The Indian River was just at the back of the hotel, and if I'd had a brain at all I'd have realized when I made the reservation that a nice $59 hotel room on the water was too good to be true.

** You never hear anyone rhapsodizing over oak tree blossoms, for example.
Except Dave.

No comments:

Post a Comment